NEW YORK CITY - Just a few days after the New York Post confirmed there would be plenty of layoffs at Clear Channel on January 20, the Wall Street Journal reports similar findings.
A subscription is required to view the full article online, but the free preview says Clear Channel plans to cut 7% of its U.S. workforce -- that's about 1,500 nationwide. The WSJ says most of the cuts are believed to be in sales, but it also says CC aims to "replace more local shows with syndicated content."
- January 16: NY Post: Clear Channel Plans Revamp
- Inside Music Media: At Clear Channel, Less is Finally Less
- thevillevoice.com: Anxious Times for Clear Channel Staffers
- Audio Graphics: Clear Channel Action Could Damage Radio Industry
- thevillevoice.com: Clear Channel's Under-the-Radar News Release Plan
- John Gorman: Clear Channel's Firing Squad