CENTRAL NEW YORK -- Even though 2008 had its slow times, this was a remarkably busy year for the return of CNYRadio.com. As we prepare to clink our champagne glasses and watch WRUN/WOLF alum Dick Clark ring in 2009, we'll take a look back at the major happenings from the year that was 2008.
Even though the new CNYRadio.com didn't launch until February, the new site was already well into its development stages when 2008 started. Even though nobody could see us yet, we were here posting stories just to make sure everything was working according to plan.
An important month for CNYRadio.com... we officially re-launched the site on February 22, with new management and a new design following a nearly three-year hiatus. Among the big stories of the month, in chronological order:
- It's not an April Fools' joke - Buckley says WSEN and WFBL are flipping formats. WSEN will trade in "Oldies" for "Classic Hits," skewing more modern (mid 60s to mid 80s) while news/talker WFBL will become "Oldies 1390," picking up the older end of WSEN's playlist.
- As a result of WFBL abandoning news/talk, crosstown rival WSYR picks up The Savage Nation weeknights. Later in the month, WSYR would add Laura Ingraham to its Sunday lineup.
- WSYR morning man Joe Galuski celebrates 20 years at the big 570.
- Tim Huppmann, known to listeners of TK99, WSEN, WOLF and other stations as Rick Ryder, dies at 65.
- Regent Utica-Rome Ops Manager Tom Jacobsen shifts to the same job at Regent's Albany cluster. He was known as "Bean Pole" on Big Frog 104, and now he's "Jake Thomas" on WGNA out there.
- Skip Clark is named PD and morning co-host at Movin 100.3/96.5.
- Glenn Beck lists Syracuse as one of only 8 cities for his 2008 Summer Tour.
- Citadel brings in a new market manager -- Dan Austin returns to his native hometown after working in a similar capacity for Albany Broadcasting.
So far, this has been our busiest month in terms of the number of articles since CNYRadio.com relaunched, but many of them were big enough to make our Year In Review list:
Past Years in Review
We took this occasion to catch up on posting all of Scott Jameson's Year in Review articles for 2001, 2002 and 2003
from the original CNYRadio.com. Scroll all the way down when you click that link to see all of the articles -- Scott did a 5-parter for 2002, and there are 2-parts each for 2001 and 2003.
We're slowly but surely working to re-post all
of the articles from the original CNYRadio.com. Check our progress anytime by visiting the homepage
and using the pull-down menu in the "Archives" box. Or, just try entering names, call letters or other keywords into the search box at the upper-right corner of the page.